Consumer Education Center
It is important in today’s world to make sure your identity and financial information is secure. Community Bank provides you with all the latest information and resources to help better protect you from identity theft and other fraudulent activity.
- Identity Theft:
Never throw away ATM receipts, bank statements, credit cards, or other items with personal information. ALWAYS SHRED!
Never give your credit card number over the phone, unless you make the call.
Reconcile your bank account(s) monthly!
Keep a list of numbers to call for reporting the loss of a wallet, credit cards, etc.
Report any unauthorized activity to your bank, credit card company, and police as soon as it is detected.
Review your Credit Report at least once a year.
- My Credit Report: Credit reports may affect your mortgage rates, credit card approvals, apartment requests, or even your job application. Request your free credit report here!
- Strong Passwords: Passwords should be "strong" and "unique." Recommendations:
- At least 8 characters, include numbers and/or symbols
- Avoid using personal information, common words, and username
- Change regularly
- Do not use same password for all accounts
- Internet Fraud: Common internet scams to avoid and tips for your safety!
- Account Takeover: Protect yourself from account takeover:
- Install, update, and maintain good quality anti-virus and anti-spyware software.
Keep your security questions safe.
Maintain strong passwords.
Watch your statements closely for any unauthorized activity.
- Internet Purchase Tips:
Know who you're dealing with – avoid purchasing from links in spam or web searches. Look for positive online reviews.
Know what it will cost – and never send cash or allow "overpayment".
Pay by credit card – for better protection.
Don't email your financial information – email is not a secure transmission method.
Keep a paper trail – keep receipts and monitor your accounts for correct withdrawals.
- Beware of free online trials - you will be automatically charged after the trial period is over if you don't unsubscribe.
- Recent scammers in the area have been trying to get people's bank information through text message. Most financial institutions will not text you for information and you should never give out personal information through text message. Text Message Scam
- Here is some important information regarding the Equifax security breach. Equifax Breach
- Be aware that a debit card skimmer has been found at a local Topeka ATM. Here are a few tips to protect yourself against skimmers.
- Cover your password with your hand.
- Use familiar ATMs and limit your visits.
- Check your balances frequently.
- Observe the ATM card slot and what it looks like.
- More ATM Protection Tips
- Email Account Compromise Schemes: Fraudsters hack into email accounts and impersonate the “hacked” individual or business. The Fraudsters contact financial institutions requesting transactions be conducted on behalf of the “hacked” party—most often a request for a wire transfer. This has happened locally. Your best defense: Change your password to your email account regularly.
- To report a lost or stolen debit card after business hours, please call 1-800-500-1044 immediately.
- To report fraudulent activity on your bank account, please call 785-440-4400 or 785-440-4455 immediately.
- Need more information on identity theft or speak with identity theft specialist:
- Paying for College: It’s more important than ever for students and former students to make smart decisions about financing their college education. Here is a link with some tools and resources to help you make the best decisions for you.
- Owning a home: Buying a home or considering buying, here are some tools and resources for home buyers.
- Budgeting: Need guidance and tips for your home budget? Here are some practical budgeting advice tips from some of the top experts.
- Credit Score: Here is a link with some tips for helping improve your credit score.
Mobile Check Deposit
Save a trip to the bank with our easy and secure mobile check deposit! Download our mobile app today to get started.